Head of People
At Thriva, we want to create a world where better health is in your hands. We aim to do this by giving people tools they can trust, advice they can action, and the support to get them there.
Our team has a wide range in experience from startups like Deliveroo, Farmdrop, and Zoopla, through to working in the NHS, and the education sector. We’re a mixed bunch of characters with wine nerds, fitness enthusiasts, and former counter-strike champions. And we’re all passionate about making a difference.
Why work with us
You’ll be working alongside humble people who truly care about what we’re building and how it can help people.
We’re creating something entirely new and we don’t know everything. So we’re constantly trying new things to understand how we can improve people's lives. We want to create a truly personalised product for each customer. This means delivering tailored insights and advice to each person based on their own health goals — whether that's trying to improve their sleep or live for longer. We’re also building a unique data set that will allow us to learn more than ever about people’s health and predict issues before they occur.
While we do have teams with different specialities and focus, most of our work spans across multiple areas. This means you’ll work with lots of different people on a range of challenging problems. We set quarterly goals which means you’ll always know what you’re doing tomorrow is going to help grow the company over the next few months.
Startup life can be tough sometimes, so we like to bring as much fun as we can to the office!
Why we need you
We're proud of what we've done so far to put people at the heart of Thriva!. We've put in place 360° review processes, a clear progression framework, and generous L&D budgets. We know there’s lots more to do and we need your help to do it! We're now at over 30 people and plan to continue growing the team over the rest of 2019, then with substantial growth plans for 2020.
We’re looking for someone to work very closely with the team to empower them to do their best work. Specifically, you’ll:
- Lead on hiring key team members and working with hiring managers to ensure we run a great hiring process for all candidates.
- Develop our employer brand to ensure we’re well-positioned for future hiring.
- Oversee the on-boarding process to ensure new team members are set up to succeed.
- Own and improve our progression framework to help team members perform and develop.
- Develop our organisational understanding of personal development, and ensure we’re the best at helping people progress.
- Collaborate with the team to develop a culture in line with our values and that supports great performance.
- Build out our inclusion and diversity practices.
- Champion best practice when it comes to people and be the centre of knowledge for employment law.
You’ll be joining a fast-growing, dynamic start-up. So there are lots of opportunities to further scope your role and get involved in other initiatives.
More about you
Ideally you'll have done some of the following things, and appetite to do the rest in the future...
- Helped grow a start-up to over 100 people
- Supported the recruitment of C-level members
- Implemented performance management initiatives
- Rolled out learning and development programmes
- Worked collaboratively with team leads to identify resource needs
What you’ll get
- Competitive salary with twice-yearly salary reviews
- Equity options
- 28 days holiday a year (plus bank holidays) for some well-deserved time off
- Choose your own equipment and setup
- Flexible working hours. If you prefer early starts, late finishes, or the odd day working from home
- Monthly team activities. Previously we’ve had away days to Cognac, escape challenges, terrarium building, and pottery workshops
- Pension contributions
- Annual “treat yourself” budget — from massages to books to days out. Be kind to yourself on us!
- Advanced Thriva tests each month
- A well-equipped central London office in Farringdon with plenty of snacks, fresh fruit, and a great espresso machine (training will be provided…)
What happens next
Once we receive your application, we’ll review it as quickly as possible and reply to you with next steps. And thanks for taking the time to apply — we know it takes a lot of work. Tom is really looking forward to reading your application!
We’ll arrange a brief 30-minute call where we can tell you more about us and chat through what you’re looking for. This is a chance for you to ask as many questions as you like!
We’ll ask you to come in for an interview with a few of your potential team members. This is an opportunity for us to delve into your experience a little further and for you to understand if you’d like to work with us. We’ll also work through a few hypothetical scenarios to understand how you approach problems.
This is another interview stage aimed to give you an opportunity to meet more of the team. You’ll also have plenty of time to quiz the founders on any burning questions. This can potentially be combined with step two.
We appreciate your time is valuable and you will have other interviews, so we’ll aim to get through them as quickly as possible. And we’ll always provide you with feedback from any of our interview stages.
If we haven’t selected your CV please don’t let that put you off applying again. We get a lot of applications and sometimes it’s just not the right match. Because we get so many CV’s we cannot provide you with individual feedback.
Thriva is proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
We embrace diversity at Thriva. To build a product that is loved by everyone we need a team with all kinds of different perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. That's why we're committed to hiring people regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or disability.